Obtain the latest information on tax planning for property, buy to lets, working overseas, non-resident and offshore tax and much more - see site for more info now!Obtain the latest information on tax planning for property, buy to lets, working overseas, non-resident and offshore tax and much more - see site for more info now!
HomeFree Tax HelpJoin TodaySearchMember Area
Not a member? Join Now
 most popular
Free Tax Books
Ask A Tax Question
Latest Q&A's
Latest Articles
Tax Calculators
 Our Tax Experts
Benefits of Membership
Our Experts
Join Lee's Tax Coaching Club
 Tax Help
Free Tax Help
Free Tax Return Help
Latest Tax Q&A's
Gold Members Resources
 Tax Planning
Capital Gains Tax
Corporation Tax
Income Tax
Inheritance Tax
Stamp Duty
Entrepreneurs Relief Tool
Non Residence Calc
Online Domicile Test
Remittance Basis
Offshore Trust Tax
Interactive PPR Relief
Family Home - IHT
Non Resident CGT
Choose Offshore Co.
Offshore Co. Tax Tool
 Non UK Domicile Tax Planning
Non UK Domiciliaries
Non Dom Tax Q&A's
 Non Resident Tax Planning
Non UK Residents
Non-Resident Book
Non Resident Q&A's
Statutory Residence Test
 Company Tax Planning
Corporation Tax Articles
Corporation Tax Q&A's
Company Tax Calculators
 Offshore Tax Planning
Offshore Tax Planning
Double Tax Treaties
Tax Havens
Working Overseas
 Tax Planning Questions and Answers
Corporation Tax Q&A
Income Tax Q&A
Non Domicile Q&A
Non Resident Q&A
Inheritance Tax Q&A
 Tax Planning With Offshore Companies
Offshore Companies
Offshore Companies Q&A
Form an Offshore Co.
ATED for Companies
 Property Tax Planning
Property Investment
Overseas Property Tax
Private Residence Relief

home | Inheritance tax & the UK/US Estate t . . .

Inheritance tax & the UK/US Estate tax treaty


I have 3 questions all linked to the other:

If a deceased individual who is UK domiciled has assets in the United States on death that becomes taxable under estate taxes, which country (the UK or USA) would have an exemption from tax or a tax credit to offset against the country's tax liability?

If the exemption is for USA would this cover both Estate taxes and State taxes?

How would I need to go about making the claim for the exemption under the Double Tax Treaty?


Under the UK-US estate tax treaty UK domiciliaries are generally, only subject to US estate tax on US real estate and US business property. This assumes that the individual is not a US national.

In addition, the US/UK treaty caps the US estate tax imposed on a UK national at no more than would have been imposed on a US domiciliary.

Therefore you'd essentially look at the US real estate and business property, deduct any US exemptions etc and this would be subject to US estate tax.

As a UK domiciliary the worldwide estate would be subject to UK inheritance tax.The UK will give credit for the US Federal Estate Tax under the estate tax treaty.

If there is a State Estate Tax on the assets situated there this is not covered by the estate tax treaty. However a UK domiciliary could claim unilateral relief for this state estate tax (ie it's not under the terms of the double tax treaty). There is though a limit to the total tax credit being the amount of UK inheritance due on the US estate.

In terms of the procedure for the UK tax credit this would be via the IHT account.

Where a DT credit is due HMRC will provide a provisional allowance but they would require that the US estate tax payment is certified by the US authorities on Form 742.

They would therefore usually send two copies of this form and request you to send them to the US authorities. The IRS would then return one of the forms directly to HMRC.

About the Author

Lee Hadnum The Author of this article/answer is our site Editor, Lee Hadnum. Lee is a rarity among tax advisers having both legal and chartered accountant qualifications. After qualifying a prize winner in the Institute of Chartered Accountants exams, he also went on to become a chartered tax adviser (CTA).

He worked in Ernst & Youngs Entrepreneurial Services department for a number of years before setting up his own tax planning practice. He is now a full time tax author.





i) Please note that the articles/answers contain general guidance only and do not constitute accountancy, tax, investment or other professional advice.

ii) The contents of this article/answer are for information only and are intended to assist readers in identify any tax planning opportunities that may be available to them. The information contained in this answer is not intended to be a substitute for taking proper taxation advice and should not be relied upon in this way. Always consult a qualified accountant or taxation adviser. Your situation will then be looked at individually and specific advice relevant to your circumstances can be given. The Expert does not accept responsibility for any loss arising as a result of reliance on any information contained in this answer.

These Notes (and Disclaimer) do not affect your statutory rights in the United Kingdom.

 Discussion Forum
Recent Forum Posts - Platinum Forum
• Best way to purchase UK property as a non resident?
• 30 day B&B rule
• share dealing by individual
• UK property owned by Jersey Company managed by UK company
• W8-BEN
• UK Land Sale
• CGT on UK property owned by Corporate bodies
• Offshore company
• Internet Based Business and moving overseas...
• CGT implication gifting an inherited property to my brother
Search Discussion

EU Tax Calculator

Here's what our members are saying ...
"I joined the site after reading an offshore tax guide and was certainly not disappointed. The practical and 'to the point' tax planning has already saved me a considerable sum. I'd recommend this website to anyone."
Jerry Brown, Edinburgh

"From my experience, the advice offered by the team at WPR is second to none and compliments what is normally provided by a high street accountant and offers members quality analysis and advice on complicated tax situations both on and offshore.

I regularly receive a blank look and "I don't know about that" with regard to more imaginative questions and a visit to this site helps me move on. thank you."
Peter Jones, Germany

"I've saved £5,659 in CGT by using this site to double check my accountants advice. My wife has also identified further income tax savings of over £2,000 as result of the property tax articles. In our case it's well worth the £10 membership fee."
Derek Bailey, Birmingham

I must thank you for the most informative reply to my enquiry. It is so extensive, I intend setting an evening aside to absorb it all.

Again, thank you for a most useful website.

"Well written reports that are clear and insightful. I look forward to reading them every week!
Natasha Foude, France

"I have to say your web site is by far the best prepared and most informative that I have seen."
Elsa Budding, Newcastle

"I'm planning my emigration and the offshore reports are exactly what I'm looking for. I'll definitely be renewing!"
Sarah Mather, Reigate, Surrey.

"The property tax advice service was excellent, and I'd have no problems recommending it to anyone. I received my answer within 1 day and was very pleased with the response
Robert Saunders, Leicester