Obtain the latest information on tax planning for property, buy to lets, working overseas, non-resident and offshore tax and much more - see site for more info now!Obtain the latest information on tax planning for property, buy to lets, working overseas, non-resident and offshore tax and much more - see site for more info now!
HomeFree Tax HelpJoin Today For £1.00SearchMember Area
 Not A Member?
Sample Articles
Sample Q&A's
Join Today For £1.00
 most popular
Free Tax Books
Ask A Tax Question
Latest Q&A's
Latest Articles
Tax Calculators
 Our Tax Experts
Our Experts
 Tax Help
Free Tax Help
Free Tax Return Help
Latest Tax Q&A's
Gold Members Resources
 Non UK Domicile Tax Planning
Non Dom Articles
Non Dom Tax Q&A's
Non Dom Books
 Non Resident Tax Planning
Non Resident Articles
Non Resident Q&A's
Non Resident Books
Statutory Residence Test
 Company Tax Planning
Company Tax Articles
Company Tax Q&A's
Company Tax Books
Income Tax Articles
Income Tax Q&A
Income Tax Books
Inheritance Tax Articles
Inheritance Tax Q&A
Inheritance Tax Books
CGT Articles
CGT Books
 Offshore Tax Planning
Offshore Tax Planning
Double Tax Treaties
Tax Havens
Working Overseas
Offshore Tax Books
 Tax Planning With Offshore Companies
Offshore Company Articles
Offshore Companies Q&A
Offshore Company Books
ATED for Companies
 Property Tax Planning
Property Investment
Overseas Property Tax
Private Residence Relief
Stamp Duty
Property Tax Books

home | Working Overseas

Working Overseas

If you are working overseas either as a permanent move or under a short term secondment you should carefully consider the tax planning opportunities available to you.

Many people look to go and work overseas. One of the key considerations will be achieving the tax advantages that go with working overseas.

What are the tax advantages

Working Overseas Book The main tax advantage is that if you can get classed as non UK resident and non UK ordinarily resident you will be exempt from UK income tax on your overseas salary income. If you're working in a nil or low tax environment such as Dubai this means you can receive your salary totally tax free.

Other tax benefits of establishing non UK residence status include:

  • Being able to receive UK bank and building society interest free of income tax. By submitting a form R43 available from the Revenue website you can elect to reclaim tax that was wrongly deducted on interest from the UK as a non UK resident and non UK ordinarily resident individual.
  • Being able to receive UK dividends free of any UK withholding taxes
  • Only being subject to UK tax on bank interest and dividends to the extent that tax is deducted at source (ie effectively nil) for the tax years after you emigrate
  • Being exempt from UK capital gains tax on any assets that you acquire after you leave the UK. When you sell assets that you already owned when you left the UK you will usually be subject to the five year non residence requirement if you want to avoid CGT.


There is no firm guideline laid down in the tax legislation as to when an individual is and is not UK resident.

The courts have traditionally given Residence its ordinary dictionary meaning.

Therefore they take the view that to reside somewhere means to 'dwell permanently or for a considerable time, to have ones settled or usual abode, to live in or at a particular place.

In this respect the courts/commissioners could look at an individuals ties to the UK, the regularity and length of visits to the UK,past and present habits of life and freedom of attachments abroad. As such if an individual goes to work overseas and has no real visits to the UK in the period since departure they would clearly be non UK resident. If on the other hand they retained a UK property and came here for around 5-7 days per month and lived with close family it is likely they would be UK resident.

In fact though this strict legal position is modified by Revenue practice/concessions.

However the strict legal position is always worth bearing in mind because the Commissioners can and do ignore the Revenue practice if they choose to.

Revenue Practice

If you leave the UK to work full-time abroad under a contract of employment, you are treated as not resident and not ordinarily resident if you meet all the following conditions:

  • your absence from the UK and your employment abroad both last for at least a whole tax year
  • during your absence any visits you make to the UK - total less than 183 days in any tax year, and - average less than 91 days a tax year. (The average is taken over the period of absence up to a maximum of four years. Any days spent in the UK because of exceptional circumstances beyond your control, for example the illness of yourself or a member of your immediate family, are not normally counted for this purpose.)

If you meet all these conditions you are treated as not resident and not ordinarily resident in the UK from the day after you leave the UK to the day before you return to the UK at the end of your employment abroad. You are treated as coming to the UK permanently on the day you return from your employment abroad and as resident and ordinarily resident from that date.

If an individual has met ALL these conditions he is then entitled to claim Non UK resident and non UK ordinary resident status from the day following departure from the UK for full-time work abroad in accordance with the above. That status continues as long as the individual continues to meet all of these conditions.

As soon as you cease to meet these conditions in a tax year you would therefore not then be entitled to the concession.

It's therefore essential then that in order to claim the benefit of the concession (essentially to expedite your non residence application and to prevent the strict legal position being initially considered) you are:

  • working overseas under a full time contract of employment

  • overseas under the contract of employment for at least a full tax year

  • able to meet both the 90 and 183 day requirements

If you're not the Revenue will usually be quick to point out the concession does not apply.

Full time

This is not defined and there is no minimum number of hours specified. However the Revenue regard a working week of 35-40 hours as full time and can accept lower hours if its reflected in local conditions. Several part time jobs can also constitute full time work.

If you own a company there is nothing to prevent you from establishing non UK residence be drafting a contract of employment for an overseas subsidiary. Providing you then meet the above conditions the fact that you are a shareholder in the company would not prevent you establishing UK residence. Clearly you'd need to be an employee although you'd need to be able to show that there was a genuine full time employment.

When can the conditions be breached?

There are lots of circumstances where the conditions can be breached aside from the obvious breaches of exceeding the 90 day requirement or not ensuring the employment contract lasted for a complete tax year.

The Revenue have stated that '...If there is a break in full-time employment, or some other change in your circumstances during the period you are overseas, we would have to review the position to decide whether you still meet the conditions...' and '...If at the end of one employment you returned temporarily to the UK, planning to go abroad again after a very short stay in this country, we may review your residence status in the light of all the circumstances of your employment abroad and your return to the UK...'

You would also need to ensure that there were no UK duties other than 'incidental' UK duties. Incidental has been strictly construed for this purpose and for example a pilot whose flights required occasional stop overs in the UK was held to have more than incidental UK duties.

You would also need to ensure that your employment was full time. If for example you had a significant period away from the office in the UK it is likely the Revenue would argue that you were not in full time employment. Therefore there are cases where the Revenue have challenged individuals having 80 days spent in the UK in a tax year to visit aged relatives etc on the basis that they were not in full time employment.

You may find the following of interest:

  • Reducing income tax for employees working overseas
  • Checklist:Going to work overseas
  • Traps to avoid when you're working overseas
  • Establishing non residence when you work overseas compared with leaving the UK permanently
  • Offshore teleworking
  • National Insurance when you work overseas
  • What is the foreign earnings deduction?
  • Non Residence as an employee
  • Avoiding double tax if working abroad
  • Tax on civil servants working abroad
  • How to reduce tax if you're working overseas
  • Exercising share options after you leave the UK
  • Can I be employed by my overseas company?
  • Receiving a bonus after you are non resident

    Subscribe now for income tax, capital gains and inheritance tax savings

    About Our Editor

    Lee Hadnum
    The Editor of our website is Lee Hadnum. Lee is a rarity among tax advisers having both legal and chartered accountant qualifications. After qualifying a prize winner in the Institute of Chartered Accountants exams, he also went on to become a chartered tax adviser (CTA).

    He worked in Ernst & Youngs Entrepreneurial Services department for a number of years before setting up his own tax planning practice. He is now a full time tax author.


    WPR Tax Books
    FREE DOWNLOAD - Company Tax Planning Handbook 2015/2016FREE DOWNLOAD - Company Tax Planning Handbook 2015/2016
    This book looks at a number of tax planning issues for company owners and considers both corporate and personal tax planning opportunities available. It is updated for the latest changes for 2015/2016 . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning With Double Tax Treaties 2015+FREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning With Double Tax Treaties 2015+
    This guide contains detailed information on how you can use the terms of the UK's double tax treaties to reduce your UK tax liability. It is updated for the latest anti avoidance rules that apply from . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning With Holding Companies: 2015+FREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning With Holding Companies: 2015+
    Structures such as the "Double Irish" and the "Dutch Sandwich" have gained press attention due to being used by various multinational groups to reduce their effective tax rate. Al . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Offshore Companies Holding UK Property: 2015+FREE DOWNLOAD - Offshore Companies Holding UK Property: 2015+
    In this book we look in detail at precisely how offshore companies owning UK property are taxed, taking account of the tax changes in 2013 and 2014 as well as the planned changes in 2015 and 2016. . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - How To Avoid CGT In 2014/2015FREE DOWNLOAD - How To Avoid CGT In 2014/2015
    This book looks in detail at how you can reduce capital gains tax in 2014/2015. The CGT reliefs are one of the main ways that most people reduce CGT. We therefore look at all of the main reliefs in d . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Royalty Tax Planning 2014: Strategies & Tactics To Reduce TaxFREE DOWNLOAD - Royalty Tax Planning 2014: Strategies & Tactics To Reduce Tax
    Royalties present particular and unique challenges when it comes to tax planning. Not only do many companies own intellectual property, writing and selling both printed books and e-books online is b . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Family Tax Planning Handbook 2014: Strategies & Tactics To Reduce TaxFREE DOWNLOAD - Family Tax Planning Handbook 2014: Strategies & Tactics To Reduce Tax
    In many ways one of the simplest ways to reduce tax is to hold assets and split income with your spouse and children/grandchildren. However, whilst there are numerous tax benefits available there ar . . . keep reading

    FREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning For Termination PaymentsFREE DOWNLOAD - Tax Planning For Termination Payments
    If you're receiving a severance package, ensuring that you qualify for all your available tax exemptions/reliefs is important. In this Gold and Practitioner Zone report we summarise how these will app . . . keep reading

  • Full time overseas work under the statutory residence test for offshore oil worker - USERNAME: aquablue - 10/10/2013
    Tax Question: Hello, I have noticed that one requirement is employment overseas. As freelance worker in the offshore oil industry there is no regular work pattern, contracts run for 3 sometimes 8 weeks at a time, 3 or 4 months without a contract during the winter are not unusual. So although the total yearly hours worked are quite high, 12/15 hrs a day 7 days a week the days worked are quite low. The SRT seems to put emphasis on a normal weekly work pattern and would possibly exclude this sort of employment from expat status. Is this correct? . . . keep reading
     Discussion Forum
    Recent Forum Posts - Practitioners Forum
    • "UK Home" for Statutory Residence Test
    • Entrepreneurs Relief on Foreign shares?
    • Splitting a property into flats - reducing tax
    • Mauritian company to avoid CGT
    • BVI company for online trading?
    • Best way to purchase UK property as a non resident?
    • 30 day B&B rule
    • share dealing by individual
    • UK property owned by Jersey Company managed by UK company
    • W8-BEN
    Search Discussion

    How to reduce tax

    EU Tax Calculator

    Here's what our members are saying ...
    "I joined the site after reading an offshore tax guide and was certainly not disappointed. The practical and 'to the point' tax planning has already saved me a considerable sum. I'd recommend this website to anyone."
    Jerry Brown, Edinburgh

    "From my experience, the advice offered by the team at WPR is second to none and compliments what is normally provided by a high street accountant and offers members quality analysis and advice on complicated tax situations both on and offshore.

    I regularly receive a blank look and "I don't know about that" with regard to more imaginative questions and a visit to this site helps me move on. thank you."
    Peter Jones, Germany

    "I've saved £5,659 in CGT by using this site to double check my accountants advice. My wife has also identified further income tax savings of over £2,000 as result of the property tax articles. In our case it's well worth the £10 membership fee."
    Derek Bailey, Birmingham

    I must thank you for the most informative reply to my enquiry. It is so extensive, I intend setting an evening aside to absorb it all.

    Again, thank you for a most useful website.
    RB, UK

    "Well written reports that are clear and insightful. I look forward to reading them every week!
    Natasha Foude, France

    "I have to say your web site is by far the best prepared and most informative that I have seen."
    Elsa Budding, Newcastle

    "I'm planning my emigration and the offshore reports are exactly what I'm looking for. I'll definitely be renewing!"
    Sarah Mather, Reigate, Surrey.

    "The property tax advice service was excellent, and I'd have no problems recommending it to anyone. I received my answer within 1 day and was very pleased with the response
    Robert Saunders, Leicester